I've been trying to use remote method coupled with depends, like this:

remote: {
        depends: function(element) { element.value = $.trim(element.value);
return element.defaultValue != element.value; },
        url: 'my.php',
        type: 'post',
        data: { action: 'check_user_name' }
}

and this doesn't work, because the whole remote parameter array gets
overwritten with the result of evaluating my 'depends' function (so
instead of array it becomes a scalar, true or false). Therefore in
case of false the AJAX call doesn't happen, and in case of true an
error occurs (because there's no url, no type, and no data anymore).

I assume remote and depends are incompatible, is it correct? If yes,
is there a workaround for this?

TIA
cheers