> That's what I have now: a simple jQuery action and as far as IE6 is
> concerned it is not there at all.

At this point, the issue could be related to jQuery itself, or to the
css for mainDiv.
That's why I recommended something simple like an alert, so that you
could determine if the issue is actually with the jQuery framework, or
if it is related to IE6's quirky css model.

> Can I "save each script file using UTF-8 encoding" in Notepad? If not,
> how do I do it?

Notepad does allow you to save files with UTF-8 encoding, BUT it
prefixes the file contents with a Byte Order Mark (usually called
'BOM'), which causes a lot of problems, so I wouldn't recommend using
notepad for this.  Honestly, this may not be the issue at all --
that's why I suggest trying some other option to determine if jQuery
is running in IE6 before you worry about the file's encoding.