>From a user-interaction standpoint, you might want to rethink the
amount of time you delay. Obviously I don't know your specific
situation, so maybe there's a very strong indicator to the user to
wait for the effect. If there isn't, just beware that while you know
what's supposed to happen when you hover, a user won't and 2 seconds
is a LONG time in terms of user interactivity (it seems long even when
you do know something will happen--user impatience with UI behavior is
very short). Check out Amazon.com's top nav (the little down arrows)
for an example of a short delay (something like 400ms).

HTH :)