Hello, I've been scouring the internet trying to find a way to do this
with jQuery.  My situation is this, I have a tablesorter function
(using the jQuery plugin tablesorter) in an external scripts.js file
as follows:

        $(function() {
                 $(aTable).tablesorter({
                // Go through each column and sort date according to type of
data in the column

In my html file I have it declared in my head as follows:

<script type="text/javascript" src="starterkit/jquery-1.3.2.js"></
script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="starterkit/
jquery.tablesorter.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="starterkit/scripts.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var aTable = $("#myTable");
var columns = $("#myTable tbody th:").length;
</script>

What I want to do is pass the aTable and columns variables to the
external function and use a for loop to cycle through each column to
determine a) should the column be sorted or not and b) if it is to be
sorted, what kind of data is in the column? Add a special parser
depending on this data, i.e. if the column contains a date, add a date
parser, etc.  I'm completely stuck, any hints are appreciated.