Shawn,

Yes, I have pause on hover set, and this is correctly working.  It is
when the overlay comes up, and it is suppose to pause the current
image, which, my code seems to be correct to do so $
('#artistCycleParent').cycle('pause'); but it just keeps cycling and
does not honor the pause.

I have it in my click function, and everything in the click function
does work, but not the pause.  Once the user clicks off of the
overlay, it should resume.