I have a small portion of a page which will contain a set of animated
text snippets.  Item one will appear immediately, then fade out; item
two will fade in, pause, then fade out, etc.  At the end of the
sequence item one will appear again repeating forever.  It's basically
a slideshow of styled HTML text.

I'm hoping to keep this simple, without the need for a big slideshow
plugin.

I wrote this:

$('#animatedQuotes').html("number one").fadeIn(2000).fadeTo(5000,
1).fadeOut(1000).html("number two").fadeIn(2000);

When this line is hit, the DIV changes to "number two" immediately.
"Number two" fades out and back in again as you'd otherwise expect.

How can I sequence this properly?  I tried a a recursive callback from
the fadeOut, but apparently that's not something we can do (Javascript
threw an error).

Thanks!