Heres a very stripped down version of the page i'm trying to write.
For simplicity, the Show / Hide functions (not meaning hide from view,
but within a db) are the same (they change the background color of the
div), the functions work for the most part but ignores certain divs
(the ones titled Hidden Category, Phones, and The New Hidden
Category). I cant figure out for the life of me why i cant select
them. I CAN select them if i do a sweep of all update_equip classes.

would settle for some sort of workaround, this is killing me

im using jquery-1.3.1.js & livequery (in the actual page, the show /
hide links flip based on what you clicked)

the show / hide function

$('.category_options a').livequery('click', function() { //start
function on links clicked inside #top_nav
 var category_id = $(this).attr("name");
 var cat_action = $(this).attr("action");
 if (cat_action == "show"){
        $('div#'+category_id).css({'background-color' : 'yellow'});
 }
 if (cat_action == "hide"){
        $('div#'+category_id).css({'background-color' : 'yellow'});