I work much better with examples, I hope this helps.

The first set of parenthesis is the selector, consider this hidden
field:

<input type="hidden" id="thisHidden" value="12.21">

If you'd like to fetch the "12.21" out of this hidden field, think of
a CSS selector (where ID = # and CLASS = .):

var thisVal = $("#thisHidden").val();

then if you do an 'alert' on this val:

alert(thisVal);

12.21 would be alerted.

jQuery rocks, have fun and keep after it, you'll be glad you did.