Yeah, I've written a simple test myself in which everything works
fine.  However, in the case where it doesn't work, there's a lot of
other code that might be causing problems.  The table itself is inside
a widget created using jQuery sortable, draggable, droppable, and
resizable.  Initially the widget content, including the table is
hidden, then copied into the widget and shown, so there's a lot of
other reasons why it might not work.