Hi, I've run into this issue as well.  I made an example extension to
illustrate what happens:

  http://gist.github.com/112562

The gist has instructions for how to set everything up... basically
you download the extension and add a file to your firefox profile with
the path to the extension directory.  In my experience jquery 1.2.6 is
ok and doesn't cause the toolbar issue, while 1.3 and greater cause
toolbar extensions to disappear.  As mentioned this occurs without
actually doing anything with jquery beyond loading it as a script.

Any ideas?