I'm not understanding the "extra click anywhere" part. Is it a 'blur'
that is triggering something?
Exactly how are you doing what you're doing?
Maybe it's just an IE bug where things are not working as expected. If
you could show us how you're doing what you're doing, maybe we could
help debug it and find a workaround.