So after a continued search for a similar problem i finally found what
i think is the answer.

http://xqus.com/jquery-and-ie-headache

it appears the IE set a global variable for each element with the same
ID. so calling login_box = $('#login_box'); causes IE to fail.

you can either add var to the front e.g. var login_box = ... or you
can change the name of the variable itself. my_login_box etc...

from the man himself. hopefully this helps anyone who comes across the
same problem..