Try putting a "return false;" at the end of your click code so that it
doesn't go to the next page. See if the AJAX call works.
(Theoretically, it probably still should not if it didn't before.)

I'm not sure what you're saying about the console displaying the text
in red. Does it also contain any additional messages?
In Firebug if the line is red, it usually means that the AJAX call did
fire but something was wrong with the request, such as the page being
called was not found, or a server-side error occurred on the page.