I personally would just use jQuery's .get() method. Then with your PHP pages you can use xml, json, or html snippets. I tend to use html snippets.

i.e.

HTML

JAVASCRIPT -
$('#BadAssPage1').click(function(){
        var pagelink = $('#BadAssPage1').attr('href');
        $.get(pagelink, function(data){
         $('#BadAssPageContent').html(data);

PHP - MyNewBadAssDynamicPage.php

<?php
$id = $_GET['id']
// load db stuff form $id
?>

When I was first learning jQuery one thing help me get use to the idea of ajax is not to think of databases or dynamic data. jQuery really could careless if it's loading a php, asp, js, or even html page. All it needs is a valid link to load the data. Once the data is loaded it then needs a function to decide what to do with the data. That's it.

Coming from a PHP & Actionscript background I would say the hardest part of learning jQuery was excepting it's simplicity.