Mauricio and Ricardo,
I applied all the suggestions, parent(), parents() and all the other
functions, but still to no avail.  The weird thing is that when I
strip out all the styles, attributes and events from the elements and
reduce the number of "tr"s to less than 10 but keep the structure
intact, it works!
At any rate, thanks to all.  Too much effort has gone fruitless at
this point.  I will have to resort to a different solution altogether.
jake