I'd suggest to understand why your dynamic objects are wired up,
thoroughly read this article

http://www.learningjquery.com/2008/03/working-with-events-part-1

understanding "why" is the solution of fixing your issue

as for

"as even to do the simplest thing you need to fully internalise the
whole framework"

I'm not exactly sure what "internalise the whole framework" is
supposed to mean, but I can say from personal experience that I have
been using jQuery for a year and a half now, and i've had to go inside
the jQuery core file *maybe* 4-5 times, and mainly just to learn what
things were doing for my own knowledge

"and have a comprehensive in-depth understanding of Javascript and the
DOM"

That's simply not true.... the whole purpose of a framework like
jQuery is so the programmer *doesn't need to* comprehensively
understand JS and the DOM....

for instance there's a lot of things that IE does/behaves differently,
but jQuery hides that fact from the programmer

then again, what one is trying to accomplish would have a big factor
in having to know the DOM or advanced script