If you go to jquery.com they have some great introduction docs for learning jQuery. However you can start by reading this email :p

Typically developers load javascript between the <header> tags. The problem with doing this is that the browser may (or will) activate the script before the page is completely loaded. Why is this a problem? Because your script may be trying to access parts of the html page (aka - DOM). If the page isn't fully loaded then the browser maybe get confused on how to handle your script.

Thankfully the jQuery library provided a simple (but not exclusive) way to prevent such a problem from occurring. And thus we have the - Dom Ready Function

$(document).ready(function () {
    $("p").text("The DOM is now loaded and can be manipulated.");
});

jQuery is all about making javascript FUN! So I guess some of the developers felt the the $(document.ready(function(){}); was a too long of an api. Considering that it's used in just about everything you do with jquery. So they put together a shortcut method -

$(function(){
        // Ta DA!!!
});

One thing that help me understand jquery is that EVERYTHING is a function. And it's ok to have functions inside of functions... in time you'll get use to it.

Good luck,
Cheers : )