its javascript, it got nothing to do with jQuery.
for example

function funcname1(){ /* do something here */ }

now we do something else like setTimeout to trigger the funcname1
setTimeout("funcname1",1000); <-- this will delay until 1 second to trigger the
function

another way to call it
setTimeout(function(){ funcname1(); },1000); <-- this will do the same.

basically function is to do a code that was need to be executed as string yet
written as normal code... at least that what i learned so far. and it got
nothing to do with jQuery it's part of javascript. jQuery use the same coding
rules / grammar so that programmer do not need to familiarize with new function
as parameter calling. yup, botrh sample i show explain that it use the function
as parameter of another function (in this case setTimeout() function).

hope it helps

Best Regards

Darwin Liem