What a CMS usually does. ( like joomla )

the contents of the head of a page is stored in a include file.
you just call this include file each time. or based on certian variables you
can call different include files.

if you include parameters in your class for the include file you can edit
your head tag at a server level at run time.

for the jquery bit of doing it. don't try to replace the whole head tag try
to replace whats within it. using prepend() append() remove()