Thanks for the replies all. I ended up just having phpscript.php
return data like so:

response_currententry

Then javascript does another split on this returned data by an
underscore. It then checks item 0 of the new array (the response) and
depending upon what that response is, it will then take item 1 (the
currententry) and insert it accordingly into the document.

I did some tests and it seems to work well.. so I'm happy. Probably
not the most efficient/best way, but scripting is more of a hobby than
anything... so I will do more reading and learn better methods in the
future :P    /procrastinate

Take care