this[0].ownerDocument

It's used by some functions to create elements that can be appended,
wrapped, inserted into your current element. Meaning the created
elements must match the same document context as the current element.

It can be troublesome when

this[0] === document

as document.ownerDoucment returns null

Please post this in the dev mailing list with a concrete description
of how this can be reproduced.