Take a look at jQuery UI for the drag and drop and resize features:

http://jqueryui.com/demos/draggable/

http://jqueryui.com/demos/droppable/

http://jqueryui.com/demos/resizable/

Since you mention rotating, I think you're on the right track with thinking
of using canvas. You could have little rotation arrows that appear at the
corners on hover, and using the draggable plugin, make them rotate the
canvas when dragged in a circle.

- Richard