// on mouse over
$(this).addClass("hover");
}, function() {
// on mouse leave
$(this).removeClass("hover");

</script>

*EXPLANATION :*

I create a class called *hover*
i create a variable refference every *<td>* tag
on mouse over i add the hover class to the element
on mouse out i remove the hover class from the element

note : if you used the style
td:hover {
background-color:#AAA;
}
IE6 would not recognize this but i try and keep things css controlled where
i can.