lets go back to basic JavaScript.
take this example

var display = function() { // create namespace display

return {

hide : function(o) { // add function hide to namepsace
var obj = document.getElementById(o);
if(obj.style.display != 'none') {
obj.style.display = 'none'
}
},

show : function(o) { // add function show to namespace
var obj = document.getElementById(o);
if(obj.style.display = 'none') {
obj.style.display = 'block'

};

}();

function init() {
display.hide("mydiv");
setTimeout("display.show('mydiv'), 1000);
}
window.onload = init;

it is a more object orientated way of scripting

as you can see i created my own namespace called display
then i assigned two function to it
display.hide
and
display.show

so you can say your are creating your own namespae with it's own set of
functions.
the cool thing is if i create a namespace that controls sideshow behavior i
can reuse my display namespace for the hide show transitions.