thanks for your concern i will try this code but the values which i m
displaying in list is coming from database so how can i made them
selected.Can i do that ?i m adding those values in list  through this
code

                                                 for(var j=0;
j<cources.length; j++)//adding cources to list box
                         {
                         var optn = document.createElement("OPTION");
                                                 optn.text = cources
[j];
                                                 optn.value = cources
[j];

document.getElementById("right").options.add(optn);
                                 }