Update.

I've been searching and reading all over the web and haven't been able
to solve this.

One way I've read about is
* Save IDs in cookie when the user expands nodes, and then re-open
them on next page-load. (that would do fine if i would know how to do
it :) )

I don't know how to bind the .click action to a node and do something
intelligent with it

* Use PHP to generate extra javascript code to load the correct nodes,
based on the current url.

I know how to add a node to the tree, but only static html which I've
written (like in the demo).
How can I add a node to the tree that is read from JSON?

Also, I've read that I should use events to wait for when the JSON has
been read before trying to append new node.

I've only found the general ideas and perhaps a code snippet or two,
but nothing on where to put that code.

Again, I'm a beginner :|

There must be someone that has done this.

Can anyone give me more information?

Have a nice day, Victor