what you should do is take the onchange event out of the html and put
it into a document ready

like this

$(document).ready(function(){
        $("#State").change(function() {
                //check to see if the feild has a value
                if ($(this).val() != ""){
                        //ok lets get the data then
                        getData(($this).val())

I think this is what you wanted to test for

Mean Mike