You'll see stuff like this leveraging Flash, because Flash is an
application on the end user's computers that have permissions to view
user's files on their computer, which is driving that "preview"
functionality

JavaScript wouldn't have the ability to do anything with the file
location

"C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\glacier1.jpg"

One it's up on the web, then it could do stuff with it, but not until
then