I ran into a problem when having umlauts as first letter in the <li>
tag. They will not be shown, until I add them to the letters array.
IMHO the better way would be to have a function, that "degrades" the
letter to the next near neighbor, i.e. if it is ü, make it to u, if
it's é make it to e, etc. Do you have any Idea how to achieve this?
Such a function would make the listnav more multilingual. While
speaking of this, perhaps you could make the word "All" a variable,
too.

Same thing with special chars like *,# etc. How about adding them into
a group of its own? Probably one could handle it like this: If the
first letter is neither a number nor a letter, it must be a special
char.

Hope I could explain the problem, my english is not that good.

Greetings from Germany

André