I have fixed this issue:

Ie6, 7 and 8 were getting an invalid argument error because of CSS
padding: once padding was removed fro mthe textareas completely in a
separate IE stylesheet, IE6 and 7 and 8 all worked fine with multiple
textareas and no errors

Opera was fixed by this problem also, although im not sure exactly
what caused Opera to correct - but it works fine now too!

hope this helps others