I have fixed this issue:

Ie6, 7 and 8 were getting an invalid argument error because of CSS
padding: once padding was removed fro mthe textareas completely in a
separate IE stylesheet, IE6 and 7 and 8 all worked fine with multiple
textareas and no errors

Opera was fixed by this problem also (it was showing the boxes very
high by default), although im not sure exactly what caused Opera to
correct - but it works fine now too!

hope this helps others