I am developing quite a complex user interface in jQuery that relies
on an AJAX call to retrieve JSON.

We have noticed that the code runs slow in IE7. IE8 and IE6 are
acceptable. Firefox and Chrome really quick.

I have traced the problem back to the AJAX call, which IE7 seems slow
to process. What takes less than a second in the other browsers will
take IE7 3 or 4.

I have googled for an answer it seems there is some consensus that the
native XHR in IE7 is slow, so it may not be a specific jQuery problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Does anyone have a solution? Please consider that this will be a
public website, so the solution cannot involve altering settings on
users' machines.