There is a flash of anti-aliased text quickly followed by cleartype in
IE8 causing an abrupt text shift in the superfish dropdown menu (and I
assume many other instances that use a jquery or js fade?).

How is this fixed or can it be?

See for example the text shift here when the dropdown appears:
http://users.tpg.com.au/j_birch/plugins/superfish/#sample1.

If this is not a fixable thing, is there a way to completely kill the
fade (I have tried to have it fade in quickly but this does not help
the text) therefore hopefully eliminating the issue? I really like the
menu and want to keep using it, but I foresee problems in the future
once IE8 adoption catches on. IE strikes again...thanks.

thanks in advance