return false is the standard method and will work no problem :)

there is an alternative as well

$(document).ready(function(e){ // function becomes function(e)
e.preventDefault(); // prevent default behavior and ensure the click is
canceled.
$('#tabs div').hide();
$('#tabs div:first').show();
$('#tabs ul li:first').addClass('active');

$('#tabs ul li a').click(function(){
$('#tabs ul li').removeClass('active');
$(this).parent().addClass('active');
var currentTab = $(this).attr('href');
$('#tabs div').hide();
$(currentTab).show();

just curious through if any expert out there can explain the difference
between using  return false; and e.preventDefault();