Hi Nick

$(".number").html(count--);

count-- decrements your count variable after it has passed its value to the $.html() function.
use --count

Peter

on 03/08/2009 21:15 littlerobothead said::
I have a status area in an app I'm working on. It shows the number of
unread alerts. As the user clicks each alert, it's subtracted from the
total. The following code counts the number of items to use as my
total:

var trigger = $("#dataset-b tr.unread");
        var count = $(trigger).length;
        $(".number").html(count);

And then this works to subtract from that number on each click:

        $(trigger).click(function(){
                $(".number").html(count--);
                if (count == 0){
                        $(trigger).unbind("click");
                }
                $(this).removeClass('unread');
        });

Problem is, nothing happens on the first click. However, on the second
click my number starts to decrement. What's going on here? How can I
make the count work?

Best,
Nick