Hi,
It is specified in the documentation as

"After submitting an invalid form, the first invalid element is
focused, allowing the user to correct the field. If another invalid
field, that wasn't the first one, was focused before submit, that
field is focused instead, allowing the user start at the bottom, if he
prefers that. "

http://docs.jquery.com/Plugins/Validation

Thanks