I need to modify a complex web app.  The web page has a set of
"cascading" selects.  That is, choosing "A" in the first HTML select
needs to trigger code to load a specific list of values into the
second Select and choosing something there needs to trigger code to
load a specific set of values into the third Select, etc.

  Behind this page is already JavaScript that includes jQuery . I
could use lep please in figuriong out two things:
1.  How to auto-populate a Select based upon a user's choice in the
Select above it
2.  Getting the index of what was selected by the user

I have spent all afternoon at the jQuery site looking for how to do
either of these, as well as searching through Google and I have not
found what I need. I realize there might not be one code example that
has both so I can simply "copy and paste," but I need more than I have
found, and I do not wish to use another plug-in nor AJAX.  (This has
to be working in two days, so I don't have time to go and learn AJAX
first.)

  Can anyone tell me how to do either of these or give me a link to
specific places that wil cover these exact topics?  Thanks.

Ken