@ProfCrazyHorse:
Your solution seems simple.. why to change something that is working fine?

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Charlie
  To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 6:38 AM
  Subject: [jQuery] Re: replaceWith()

  there are lots of ways in jQuery to create relationships between selectors
depending on your markup. Without seeing any markup it's hard for anyone else
to help you create those connections

  ProfCrazyHorse wrote:
I want to replace one element with another, and keep the element
contents intact.  For example, here, I'm replacing all h2 elements
with h3's:

$("a #replaceWith").click(function () {
   var h2Text = $("h2").text();
   $("h2").replaceWith("<h3>" + h2Text + "</h3>");
});

I have two questions.

First, how can I do this more simply?  I tried the following, but $
(this) refers to the anchor tag and not the h2 selector.  Is there a
way in jQuery to refer to the selector, i.e. $("h2")?

$("a #replaceWith").click(function () {
   $("h2").replaceWith("<h3>" + $(this).text + "</h3>");
});

My second question:  Is there a method more appropriate than
replaceWith to replace certain elements on the apge with others?

Thank you!