Hi,

I'm using the validator plugin and it's great! I understand the
following:

"Before a field is marked as invalid, the validation is lazy: Before
submitting the form for the first time, the user can tab through
fields without getting annoying messages - he won't get bugged before
he had the chance to actually enter a correct value"

This is cool and how I want it to work.

However, I have some custom validation methods using addMethod like:

$.validator.addMethod("currency", function(value, element){
        element.value = $.trim(value);
        return this.optional(element) || /^([0-9]+|[0-9]{1,3}(,[0-9]{3})*)(\.
[0-9]{2})?$/.test(element.value);
    }, 'This value should be in the form 1234, 1234.56 or 1,234.56');

These custom methods validate eagerly from the start, i.e. before I've
tried to submit the form. This means that in a form with one input
using say this 'currency' method, and another input using the built in
'required' method, as I tab through them, the required one will not be
validated but the currency one will.

How can I ensure that these custom validation methods only validate
after initial submit/validation has occurred, like the built in ones
do?

Many thanks,

Jim.