Does anyone have a library or patch to call a handler if a user leaves
an autocomplete field without choosing one of the autocomplete options
- i.e. they've entered free text.

I'm working with an app that populates multiple fields from a single
auto-complete value, and our latest requirement is to clear out a
bunch of fields if the user's entered something manually - rejecting
autocomplete suggestions.

My initial attempts at hooking into onkeyfoo and onblur haven't lead
anywhere productive, and I'm hoping someone else has managed to
overcome the gnarly event and timing dependencies involved with
onkeyfoo and blur being used for standard autocomplete behaviour.

Note: I'm working with http://plugins.jquery.com/project/autocompletex
- but I'm happy to switch libraries and/or port functionality and
patches over from another solution.