Thanks for the ideas. Looks like it's not supported, which might be a
symptom of bad design on my part.

I just have lots of different actions, having a form for each one
seemed messy.

Maybe a suitable workaround would be to have a hidden form on the
page, attach input elements to it as I need them, then finally
call .submit on the form....