I have 2 class options .bookmarked and .not

Or

My js looks like

$(".bookmarked,.bookmarked not").click(function() {
                        var url_id = $(this).attr('id').split('_');
                        var status = $(this).attr('class');

                        //alert(status);

                        $.ajax({
                                        type: "POST",
                                        url:
'/bookmarks/bookmark/'+url_id[1],
                                        success: function(){
                                                if (status = "bookmarked
not") {
                                        //creating a bookmark

$('#b_'+url_id[1]).removeClass('not');
               } else if (status = "bookmarked"){
                                        //deleting the bookmark
                                   $('#b_'+url_id[1]).addClass('not');

                        return false;
                });

If I click on a ".bookmarked not" link it removes the "not" class, but if I
click on a "bookmarked" link it does not add the "not" class.

Now the bookmarks are being created and deleted in the database...just not
changingthe div class.

Ideas where I went wrong?

Dave