Your question is really more of an HTML/CSS question, so that may be
why a search didn't return much in the way of results. You can either
insert the images inside the <a> elements of your tabs (not really
great for accessibility) or put unique class names on each tab and
pull in the custom tab image using CSS background images and then use
CSS to move the actual link text out of the viewport.