Well, you can generate as much mark up as you want, but if I
understand what you're trying to do, it's redundant :) You can style
the UL, LI and A tags directly without a DIV wrapper. Also, your last
snippet is a little confusing. You wouldn't place CSS within the DIV.
The CSS would be inline in your document head or a separate file and
*apply* to whatever class or id was assigned to the DIV (or UL, LI, A,
etc).

I would suggest taking a look at the CSS file included with the
superfish download for examples of "skinning" the menu. Also, if you
have FireFox handy install Firebug and the Web Developer toolbar and
start poking around with those tools. It will be very enlightening :)

Laker