@kcrichard
this is from the jquery site

*Sends an xml document as data to the server. By setting the processData
option to false, the automatic conversion of data to strings is prevented.*

 var xmlDocument = [create xml document];
 $.ajax({
   url: "page.php",
   processData: false,
   data: xmlDocument,
   success: handleResponse
 });

Perhaps that is what your looking for?

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruva Sagar.

Ogden Nash <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/ogden_nash.html>  -
"The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up, it's always a cat."