I was looking at the jquery.flash plugin and it looks like what I need
to get the job done but I am not able to figure out how to do it.

Here is some sample code from the plugin site

$('.custom').flash(null, null, function(htmlOptions){
    // do stuff
});

Below is the code I tried using

<script type="text/javascript">
        var strToAdd = 'my text to add'

    $(document).ready(function(){

            $('#flashHere').flash(null, null, function (htmlOptions){
                $(".hello").append(strToAdd)
                });
         }); // END DOCUMENT READY
</script>

In the end what I would really like to do is replace one div with one
other if flash is not found, this will help me make an iPhone friendly
version of a site with a lot of flash video on it.
Any suggestions or help would be great!