It would appear this is the inevitable result of us all using feature
detection rather than browser sniffing - essentially we're still doing
all the same stuff as before, but in a more roundabout way because we
need to test for features specific to a browser but - and this is the
important bit - not necessarily related to the issue we're trying to
circumvent.

if all else fails, have a peek at BrowserDetect.browser