Hi All,

jquery noob question here.  I've got a php script that runs a few
price
checker kiosks out on the sales floor at work and I've got a <p>
element
that I can get to slide up when a product is scanned and slide back
down
after a 5 second pause with:

        $(function() {
                $("p").slideUp("slow");
                setTimeout(function(){ $("p").slideDown("slow"); },
5000);
});

but when I change the slideUp and slideDown to fadeIn and fadeOut I'm
not
getting the element to fade in or out.  Instead the element shows up
on the
screen then after 5 seconds the element appears in the position where
it
ends up after a slideUp.

Similarly if I change the slideUp and slideDown to 'show' and 'hide'
the
element again shows up in the spot that it starts the slideUp from
then
slides up after 5 seconds.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.