You might be able to use the show, hide and destroy methods here to make sticky tooltips:

http://craigsworks.com/projects/qtip/docs/api/

but I don't think there's support for dragging. I used this library recently and found it to be solid across browsers, FYI.

- Jack

rvdb wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to find a tooltip solution that allows for the display of
HTML elements as tooltips, with following specific behaviours:
  -tooltips popup on mouseover; disappear on mouseout
  -tooltips can be made sticky + draggable on click, and can be closed
with a 'close' link

The first requirement is met in most tooltip libraries: only one
tooltip is shown at a time, content can be picked up from other HTML
elements on the page, and tooltips disappear on mouseout. The second
requirement is often found only partially: many tooltip libraries
offer sticky tooltip options, but don't allow multiple sticky tooltips
to appear simultaneously.

So far, I only found one tooltip library that did it all out of the
box: domTT. The demo at
http://www.mojavelinux.com/cooker/demos/domTT/example4.html
shows what I am looking for.

I have successfully combined this library with JQuery in my webapps,
but unfortunately bounced into memory leaks on large pages (probably
due to the domTT library itself). Without any disrespect, that library
has its age and I guess modern-day JS frameworks like JQuery are
better geared to avoiding memory leaks by design.

Therefore, I'm looking into a pure JQuery solution to implement this
functionality, since it promises fast + robust js development for
common behaviours + an extensive plugin library. The biggest problem,
however, is that even elaborated JQuery plugins like clueTip are
limited to displaying only one sticky tooltip at a time.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions!

Ron