I'm having a similar issue with the media plugin and Safari. According
to Safari's plugin list, mime type "video/quicktime" is limited to the
file types: mov,qt,mqv. This of course means that if you try and
publish an mp4 file, or if you would remap mp3 to play with Quicktime
instead of Flash, it'll fail (btw, the Flash demo on malsup.com/jquery/
media fails as well in Safari 4/Mac -- prompts alert claiming
incorrect mime type...). The list of file types associated with mime
type video/quicktime in jquery.media.js isn't correct (in the Safari
context). My question, see it as a follow-up to Jerome's if you will,
is if it's necessary to add new mime type definitions or if mime-types
can be made chainable (not sure if chainable is the right word here,
but, you get the drift)? I was thinking something like:
----
mimetype:        'video/quicktime, video/mp4, video/mpeg',
                pluginspage: 'http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/',
                types:
'aif,aiff,aac,au,bmp,gsm,mov,mid,midi,mpg,mpeg,mp4,m4a,m4v,psd,qt,qtif,qif,qti,snd,tif,tiff,wav,
3g2,3gp',
---
(The mime chain above still doesn't match all file types btw)
The alternative I guess would be to simply add a new block for each
QuickTime mime type?
Suggestions are welcome of course, I'm crap at scripting. ;)

Cheers,
Fred K